Healthy, versatile mushrooms make a great addition to any meal! Whether you appreciate them for their unique flavor or distinct texture – there are plenty of reasons to celebrate hearty meat-like mushrooms during National Mushroom Month in September.
Mushrooms are low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. Not only are they a source of potassium; depending on the variety, mushrooms can provide selenium and copper. They have three B-complex vitamins: riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic acid, which help release energy from the fat, protein and carbohydrates in food.
If they are exposed to ultraviolet light right before or after harvesting, they are also an excellent source of vitamin D.
The most common mushroom varieties that you’re probably most familiar with are:
- White Button: The most popular variety consumed in the U.S.; white button mushrooms are usually sauteed or cooked, or topped on pizza and burgers.
- Portabella: The deep, meaty texture and flavor of portabella mushroom make them a great vegetarian alternative to meat. Most often they are grilled and served as “burgers” on toasted buns. Portabellas can also be prepped broiled or roasted and served in apps, salads, and entrees.
- Shiitake: The shiitake mushroom tastes best when cooked. They add a meaty texture and flavor to stir-fry’s and soups.
- Crimini: Criminis have a deeper flavor than white button mushrooms. The most common way to prepare them is to saute, broil, microwave, or cook them. They complement beef and veggie dishes well.
Now that we’ve hyped up mushrooms—it’s time for you to step outside of your restaurant order “comfort zone” and give your taste buds what they really deserve. We’ve compiled a list of tantalizing mushroom small bites and dishes you can find on the menu!
- Omelet in Pita Bread with Tomato, Bacon, and Mushrooms
Chia flatbread topped with creamy bechamel sauce, arugula, smoked havarti cheese, sauteed portabella mushrooms, sweet Maui onion and smoked Ahi tuna, drizzled with balsamic reduction.
- Stuffed Portabella Mushroom with Bacon and Spinach
- Portabella Mushroom Burger with Cheese and Veggies
- Risotto with Mushrooms and Cucumbers
- Tagliatelle with Mushroom, Chicken Fillet and Cream Sauce
If you’ve noticed any unique restaurant innovations on the menu with mushrooms, share it with us in the comments below!